Wednesday, July 28, 2004

nomads & elephants

Last night, I went to the elephant show. It was a small, intimate show with 4 baby elephants. There were 6-10 people involved in training and ticket sales.

The elephants did small, simple tricks, but I was excited, nonetheless. I've never been to a show like this in a long, long time.

I got to go under an elephant for 10B.

Shows like this make me think about the people who do this as well as much as the elephants themselves. I wondered about the trainer's lifestyle more than anything. I wonder what traveling from place to place; staging shows day-to-day was is like. I don't think they make more than a couple of thousands each night. But that's a guesstimate. I'd like to travel with them for a year to see if it’s like a nomad's lifestyle -- sort of an investigative journalism type of thing. Maybe I could blog from the road. That’s the type of adventure I want.

This morning, I saw the elephant truck cross the bridge. They’re off to do other shows, I suppose.

No comments: